board testing

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
gillandro

Re: board testing

Post by gillandro »

last question on this subject but i gather that means the dot for the 6 pin resistor pack goes towards the left?
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Yes, just follow the markings on the PCB.

Screenshot 2019-04-19 at 08.04.15.png
Screenshot 2019-04-19 at 08.04.15.png (143.01 KiB) Viewed 6399 times

See also the instruction video: https://youtu.be/pXCHROQ-lS4
gillandro

Post by gillandro »

got new kit and installed the resistor packs as discussed....new problem....led 5-led 8 stay fully lit when the power is supplied...what could i check with that issue? thanks
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

I'm sorry to hear, but please go back to the methods referred to before:
marcelk wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 17:24 There are tips and tricks on the Troubleshooting page. Specifically focus on these two sections:
  • No test pattern after build step 7
  • System doesn't start
All soldering connections must be good, none shorted, and all components placed in the correct orientation.
gillandro

Post by gillandro »

making progress cleaned the board with ipa,,, test pattern worked for a few passes then stopped i will check solder joints tomorrow and clean the board again as that did help...but on a normal scenario how long will the leds do the back and forth pattern? thanks
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Maybe you're using a power bank? See the instruction video on step 7 about how this can happen: https://youtu.be/l20m3mNZdx4?t=118
gillandro

Post by gillandro »

im using a cube from a cellphone charger that says 5vdc output....is there a max ma rating? i gather what the board needs is probably in the manual
gillandro

Post by gillandro »

btw i repaired the other board and it has the exact same issue
gillandro

Post by gillandro »

apple wall plug output 5v and 1a
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

If the "Power OK" is always steady, yet still sometimes your LEDs are running a pattern and sometimes they're not, it can only be one (or a couple) soldering joints that are problematic. That's good news, because you can always revisit such connections with a soldering iron and perhaps do some backside cleaning. Always pay special attention to the ground pin joints. The excel sheet can help as well. The effects of such issues can be intermittent. The component orientation will be fine in that case, as the LEDs can't ever run their pattern with any reversed ICs installed. When the LEDs run, the computer is actually executing software that's built-in the EPROM (and it should give a video signal as well while it's doing that).