Pluggy Reloaded

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
norgate

Re: Pluggy Reloaded

Post by norgate »

The CardTest.gcl is not related to Pluggy Reloaded, so it's not supposed to work with it. Instead its part of the Expansion Bus discussed here: https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?p=1118#p1118

The serial command for loading gt1 files should work however.

Try running the code from the page linked below for some possibly helpful diagnostic information
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/CardInfo

I have also experienced the hanging issues with the ProMicro a few times. I'm currently quite busy with work/uni but when I have the time, I'll try to find the cause.
PurpleGirl

Post by PurpleGirl »

Yeah, CardTest.gcl works with the expansion card with the memory and SD cards. The reason for the random pixels is because it uses the undefined instructions that won't work unless something external is putting stuff on the bus. So, with no expansion card plugged into the memory socket or intercepting the bus elsewhere, all you'll get is random data, hence the screen corruption.
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

Yeah, more research less assumptions, I'll learn one day.

Anyway, I followed the guide here https://lastminuteengineers.com/arduino ... -tutorial/, re-soldered the SD module, reformatted the SD cards using the sanctioned tool mentioned in that guide and now everything works perfectly and consistently every time; even with large 30+ *.gt1 files in the root directory.
walter
Site Admin

Post by walter »

I also did another check and also resoldered using a higher wattage soldering iron. Problem seems to have vanished now.
norgate

Post by norgate »

Very nice to hear its working for you both now! Still kinda weird you both had the same issue.
ECL

J2 male or female?

Post by ECL »

in the schematics you might denote J2 as male or female, as with the other J's. :idea:
norgate

Post by norgate »

Not quite sure where you want me to denote that. For J2 I'm using the schematic symbol and footprint found here: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-57491 ... gnId=32493
The description does mention that is is a receptacle.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

I received a set of Pluggy Reloaded's from the second batch yesterday... and twins were born:
IMG_2216.PNG
IMG_2216.PNG (614.28 KiB) Viewed 8065 times
ECL

receptacle / plug terminology

Post by ECL »

norgate wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 20:36 The description does mention that it is a receptacle.
In their lingo, "receptacle" means female in engineer-speak while they use "plug" for male. So Mr Pluggy McPlugface does not ship with a plug actually. ;) Although it ships with an interface for one.

Great to see those photos with SD card capability for the Gigatron desktop workstation. I'm thinking of modifying the ROM to use the good old Sinclair ZX homecomputer font. Should be a blast in the ZX Speccy scene...
ECL

"Pluggy Reloaded" = circuit board with SD card, Arduino

Post by ECL »

monsonite wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 10:06 I would connect all of the spare I/O pins of the ATmega to suitable headers so that you can use them for connecting for example Blinkenlights, and other input and output devices - the Arduino becomes your I/O slave.
I was thinking the whole time: Why not replace one of the red Blinkenlights with INFRAred LED ?

Allowing for some sort of "plug-less Pluggy McPlugface" or "Pluggy unplugged" , given that it does not ship with a plug anyway but with a (female) receptacle.

It is an almost trivial change of the circuitry but if working well, you could do infrared networking or an infrared "bus" of sorts.

There are several infrared receiver circuit options to choose from. replacing a somewhat sizeable board dangling at the back of the Gigatron desktop workstation might be a good idea.