Sending code to Gigatron with Arduino

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
asitech

Sending code to Gigatron with Arduino

Post by asitech »

Hi everyone

I am new here and hope to find help with my problem. :)

I recently ordered a Gigatron which I built and which works without problems (i love this thing). Now I would like to use it with an Arduino to be able to inject code into it or also be able to use it with a keyboard.
My hardware :

Arduino Uno MEGA2560
Gigatron
And my actual serial connection is this one :
Gigatron
My software :

Arduino IDE 1.8.10
Gigatron ROM V.4
I tried to download the GitHub sketch here : https://gigatron.io/?p=868
But the link is dead.
So i managed (i hope) to find the right files here : https://github.com/kervinck/gigatron-ro ... /BabelFish

I downloaded theses files and put all of them in a folder:
BabelFish.ino
Blinky.h
Lines.h
Terminal.h
TinyBASIC_v3.h
WozMon.h
bricks.h
life3.h
starfield.h
tetronis.h
tinyfont.h

Then i opened "BabelFish.ino" on Arduino IDE then when i try to compile it i get this error :

I would like to say that i am new to Arduino world as well as Gigatron world so my understanding of theses things is limited.

Does someone has an idea about my issue? or maybe i am doing it in the wrong way?

Thank for your help
marcelk

Re: Sending code to Gigatron with Arduino

Post by marcelk »

I just leave the files in the same directory, and build in there. In this case it seems PS2.ino was forgotten?

Edit: Once it compiles and loads, check if you can talk with the Arduino using the Serial Monitor. Set it to 115200 baud and see if BabelFish is giving you a prompt. Use 'h' + enter to get a command list.

Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 10.47.15.png
Screenshot 2019-12-24 at 10.47.15.png (19.18 KiB) Viewed 4245 times

After that, close the Serial Monitor and try the sendFile.py program to transfer a GT1 file. GT1 files are Gigatron binaries. I'm not a Windows user, but I know it works in the CMD window.

Code: Select all

python3 Utils/sendFile.py -p <<COMport>> Apps/Overworld/Overworld.gt1

Yesterday we made some changes for it to auto-detect the correct COM port for Arduino. But that isn't fully tested yet. If that works the '-p' option isn't needed any more. (The MEGA2560 has the same USB controller as the Uno, so auto-detect should work.) If it gives problems, please post a screenshot here.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Yes, as Marcel already said. Arduino IDE is peculiar like that. All necessary files for the sketch need to be in a single folder, but nothing else. To be on the safe side simply put the content of https://github.com/kervinck/gigatron-ro ... /BabelFish in an empty folder and you're good.

Once you get it up and running, you can check with the Arduino IDE built-in serial monitor if you can "talk to" BabelFish on the Arduino, but use a proper serial tty client like PuTTY from there on. Maybe it's just me but some commands didn't work with the serial monitor. Then it's just a matter of getting to know how to use the BabelFish commands, be prepared to switch to the terminal ("T") and back ("ctrl-D") often ;)

sendFile.py is another way to communicate with the Arduino / Gigatron, from the command line, and is very handy too!

Good luck!
asitech

Post by asitech »

Thank Marcel and Marco

Marcel

Indeed my problem was due to the fact that the PS2.ino file was not present. Thanks everything is working fine now :)

When connecting with the Arduino serial console i get a garbage prompt but when I use putty with speed 115200 it works fine.

I installed Python3 but when I run the command to inject MicroChess, I get this python error (tested with -p and none):

Can you help? in meantime will try to figure out on my side

Anyway thank again both for your fast help and tips!
asitech

Post by asitech »

Hi

Hi i just found it. I had to install pyserial using this command : pip install pyserial

Also see that i have to change Arduino serial console baud rate to 115200 to make it work... :oops:

Thank you :)))