LCC for the Gigatron. Take two.

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
lb3361

Re: LCC for the Gigatron. Take two.

Post by lb3361 »

So far it only runs on Linux. For the time being, the best way to run it on Windows is to use Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about . WSL1 should be good enough. Long term we have to do better, but that's another story...
axelb

Post by axelb »

I successfully built the Gigatron-LCC 1.0 compiler under Windows 10 using Cygwin64 !
(Packages: bison, byacc, gcc-core, python 3.8, GNU make 4.3)

However, i had to add the line

cygwin: ${B}rcc

at the end of the makefiles in the following directories

gigatron/libc/
gigatron/mapsim/
gigatron/mapconx/

Otherwise the build process stopped returning a "No rule to make target" error.

After extracting the patch https://github.com/axelb68/gigatron-lcc/tree/patch-1 to i.e. d:\glcc just start the cygwin64 terminal
and use cd ../../cygdrive/d/glcc. If you now type make install the build process will install the compiler to the folder
C:\cygwin64\usr\local\lib\gigatron-lcc. It can now be used from any location inside the cygwin terminal.

The compiler works great - thanks Leon !
lb3361

Post by lb3361 »

Amazing. I thought that it would have required more work. I am surprised by this cygwin: rule to add to the make files. Is it a known cygwin thing?

- Leon

Ps1: please send me a pull request..

Ps2: At67 suggests to switch the build system to cmake, which would certainly open possibilities…
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

@axelb Great stuff!

@lb3361 CMake would solve a lot of your non Linux build issues.
axelb

Post by axelb »

This is my pull request for the Cygwin build: https://github.com/lb3361/gigatron-lcc/pulls .

It is also sufficient to change the ${B}rcc entries in these makefiles to ${B}rcc.exe without an additional rule !

Maybe the rule just changes the way how a missing extension is treated under Cygwin...
lb3361

Post by lb3361 »

I found in the cygwin doc that some of the libc calls such as stat() basically try adding a .exe extension. Other calls such as readdir() do not show an extension-less file whenever a .exe is present. I guess the patch changes which api calls are used by make to assert the existence of ${B}rcc. This seems very fragile and could break under mingw for instance.

The correct solution would be to replace ${B}rcc by ${B}rcc${E} everywhere, do the same for all other executables, and make sure that E is .exe on Windows and empty on other platforms.

It seems that one can do that by testing the existence of the COMSPEC environment variable. Do you see such a variable when you type 'env' under cygwin?
lb3361

Post by lb3361 »

I have tentatively changed all the Makefiles to be aware of .exe suffixes.
See https://github.com/lb3361/gigatron-lcc/ ... 49cb5d6c7a
axelb

Post by axelb »

Under cygwin>env i found COMSPEC=C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

Using your latest approach I again got the "No rule to make target"-error.

However, everything works fine when changing the main makefile to

ifdef COMSPEC
EX=.exe
else
EX=
endif

replacing E= to EX= and ${E} to ${EX} in this and the other makefiles.

I assume ifdef $(COMSPEC) was just a typo and the variable E might be used elsewhere...
lb3361

Post by lb3361 »

I understand the comspec part but not the ex part and I really would like to know why things work. This probably means I need to setup a cygwin environment and test..

Update 1: I just installed a fresh cygwin distribution and was able to compile all with just the ifdef COMSPEC change. I had no need to rename variable E as EX. I am using gnu-make-4.3 and gcc-11.2. The test suite ran fine. Now I would like to know whether I can do the same with mingw.

Update 2: I also managed to compile with mingw and produce executables that only require the python launcher "py" to be installed. The attached zip contains binaries intended to be installed in c:\gigatron-lcc. If you install elsewhere, you need to patch the paths in the two bat files glcc.bat and glink.bat located in the bin directory. Seems to work. No guarantees.
Attachments
gigatron-lcc-1.0.9-win32.zip
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
axelb

Post by axelb »

Changing back to E as a variable name now also works fine on my side :) . Thank you for the clarification!