how to burn in a 27c1024 EPROM a single .gt1 file

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
gfernval

how to burn in a 27c1024 EPROM a single .gt1 file

Post by gfernval »

Hello:

2 questions:

- I have compiled gigatron-rom/Contrib/at67/gbas/games/Invader/invader.gbas by going to
gigatron-rom/Contrib/at67/gbas/games/Invader/ directory and typing gtbasic invader.gbas,
generating invader.gt1. How can burn this file in a single 27c1024 eprom so that when I put
this eprom in a real gigatron the gigatron starts with playing the game directly?
In a real gigatron can invaders.gt1 be loaded using loader application or is too big to fit in memory? (haven´t tried yet)

-The file gigatron-rom/Utils/BabelFish/BabelFish.ATtiny85.hex is the latest one (more recently) to
flash in an ATtiny85 chip to make the Pluggy McPlugface interface?
If I load the sketch gigatron-rom/Utils/BabelFish/BabelFish.ino into Arduino IDE and compile it
for Arduino Uno (instead ATtiny85), the .hex file generated (BabelFish.ino.hex) can be used to
flash an Arduino Uno board to make an interface to be used by gigatron-rom/Utils/sendFile.py
utility to trasfer programs from the PC to the gigatron? Can I use an Arduino Nano instead an
Arduino Uno (after being compiled for Arduino Nano in Arduino IDE)

thanks
bmwtcu

Re: how to burn in a 27c1024 EPROM a single .gt1 file

Post by bmwtcu »

"Can I use an Arduino Nano instead an Arduino Uno (after being compiled for Arduino Nano in Arduino IDE)"

Yes, you can. You will need to tether the Gigatron to a PC that runs the Python script. Consider also either https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=332 or https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=279 . It's just so much more convenient to load the gt1 on the SDCard and launch it directly from the Gigatron like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsnt1ikPrDk . You can also launch gt1s from the at67 emulator if you are developing on the PC anyways and don't need to go untethered. The Pluggy Reloaded should be pretty easy to DIY. If you really want to burn your own ROM, instructions can be found at https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?p=1958#p1958 .
lb3361

Post by lb3361 »

gfernval wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 08:26 - I have compiled gigatron-rom/Contrib/at67/gbas/games/Invader/invader.gbas by going to
gigatron-rom/Contrib/at67/gbas/games/Invader/ directory and typing gtbasic invader.gbas,
generating invader.gt1. How can burn this file in a single 27c1024 eprom so that when I put
this eprom in a real gigatron the gigatron starts with playing the game directly?
In a real gigatron can invaders.gt1 be loaded using loader application or is too big to fit in memory? (haven´t tried yet)
I would edit the main Makefile and add something like this

Code: Select all

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------
#	Invaders ROM based on ROMv5a
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------
INVADERS=/path/to/invader.gt1

invaders.rom: Core/* Apps/*/* ${INVADERS} Makefile interface.json
	python3 Core/dev.asm.py\
		Boot=Apps/CardBoot/CardBoot.gt1\
		Main=${INVADERS}\
		Reset=Core/Reset.gcl

invaders-burn: invaders.rom
	minipro -p 'AT27C1024 @DIP40' -w "$<" -y -s
Note that I didn't try. Compiling the rom would be:

$ make invaders.rom
You might want to test this rom with at67's emulator gtemuAT67 (see Contrib/at67).
Then burn it by connecting a TLC-866 burner and typing

$ make invaders-burn
gfernval

Post by gfernval »

Will do it and communicate my results.
Can invader.gt1 be trasferred to a real gigatron using sendFile.py from a PC? or too big?
The glcc c compiler does work with roms v3, v4, v5a (does existst v5?), what are rom versions ROMvX0 and romAT67x?
The main makefile on gigatron-rom-master only generates v1, v2, v3, v4 and v5a, not vX0 and AT67x roms. Also generates a dev.rom,
such dev.rom is the one that is "beta"? v1,v2,v3,v4 andv5a are "stable"?
If connecting to a real gigatron a Pluggy Reloaded interface, the 27c1024 ROM on the gigatron arduino must be programmed by SDCARD.rom file
instead romv5a.rom file ?
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

gfernval wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:09 Can invader.gt1 be trasferred to a real gigatron using sendFile.py from a PC? or too big?
It transfers fine to 32K RAM hardware, the same as PucMon.
gfernval wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:09 The glcc c compiler does work with roms v3, v4, v5a (does existst v5?), what are rom versions ROMvX0 and romAT67x?
ROMvX0 is a ROM I have been working on with new vCPU instructions, SYS calls and features, it's not released yet.

romAT67x is something that shouldn't exist, I don't know what it is, it has nothing to do with me.
gfernval wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:09 The main makefile on gigatron-rom-master only generates v1, v2, v3, v4 and v5a, not vX0 and AT67x roms. Also generates a dev.rom,
such dev.rom is the one that is "beta"? v1,v2,v3,v4 andv5a are "stable"?
dev.rom and ROMv5a are almost the same, you can use either, if you use ROMv5a there can be a sound glitch in certain circumstances explained in this forum.

The makefile can currently only generate v1, v2, v3, v4, v5a and dev, ROMvX0 is not finished and ROMat67X does not or should not exist. dev.rom is a bug fixed version of ROMv5a, (i.e. no sound glitch).
gfernval wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:09 If connecting to a real gigatron a Pluggy Reloaded interface, the 27c1024 ROM on the gigatron arduino must be programmed by SDCARD.rom file
instead romv5a.rom file ?
Only if you want to access the SDCARD from the Gigatron's menu, if you don't care about SDCARD support then you can use any of the supported ROM's on the Gigatron.
lb3361

Post by lb3361 »

gfernval wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:09 The glcc c compiler does work with roms v3, v4, v5a (does existst v5?), what are rom versions ROMvX0 and romAT67x?
at67 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 16:41 romAT67x is something that shouldn't exist, I don't know what it is, it has nothing to do with me.
GLCC only compiles programs for ROMv4 (with option -rom=v4), ROMv5a (with option -rom=v5a), and for the dev rom (with option -rom=dev).
It also has unofficial support for my experimental roms (option -rom=exp) and for an obsolete snapshot of at67's ROMvX0 (option -rom=at67x). These roms are not released. I believe the name romAT67x is the result of my poor choice of an option name. Anyway, at67's current ROM is well ahead of the one supported by GLCC at the moment, so this should not matter.

The stable rom is ROMv5a. The dev rom from the github site is also very stable and reliable but only offers minor improvements.

I assumed you wanted to burn a specific ROM to build a Gigatron that is dedicated to running invaders. If your goal is to simply load invaders.gt1 on a normal gigatron, you do not need to burn a ROM!.
1. You can use the Loader program with an Arduino as explained in https://gigatron.io/?page_id=574.
2. You can use a SD card with the Pluggy Reloaded (see https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=279)
2. You can also use a SD card breakout attached to a RAM & IO expansion board (see https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=332 and https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?p=2788#p2788). This works with the dev rom only, though.
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

Once upon a time I got my hands on some prototyping boards with 156mil gold fingers and had considered making a ROM cartridge for each Gigatron game, but quickly realized how much cheaper an SD card solution would be:P
gfernval

Post by gfernval »

Thanks for the responses, will you let you know my results.
I use Windows XP with Python 3.7, have compiled successfully gtemu and gcl for windows xp (using MSYS2), no need to used bash utilities for make to work, a simple command MS-DOS prompt in Windows XP is enough.
I don´t know Python, but when trying to make in gigatron-roms-master fails. By a series of comparisons between old repositories that compiles well in my system I have narrowed the failure to gigatron-rom-master\core\gcl0x.py file: (removing the lines of no interest)

excerpt of file core\gcl0x.py that works in my system (Windows XP with Python 3.7):

------------------
from asm import *
import string
import sys
loadBindings('Core/v6502.json') # XXX Provisional method to load mnemonics
------------------

excerpt of file core\gcl0x.py that do NOT works in my system (Windows XP with Python 3.7):

------------------
from asm import *
import string
import sys
from pathlib import Path
# XXX Provisional method to load mnemonics
try:
loadBindings(Path('Core') / 'v6502.json')
except FileNotFoundError:
loadBindings(Path(__file__).parent / 'v6502.json')
------------------

If I copy old version of gcl0x.py github repositories over gcl0x.py of new repositories this is enough?
gfernval

Post by gfernval »

modifying the file \gigatron-rom-master\core\gcl0x.py ot the latest github repository with only:

# try:
loadBindings('Core/v6502.json')
# loadBindings(Path('Core') / 'v6502.json')
# except FileNotFoundError:
# loadBindings(Path(__file__).parent / 'v6502.json')

solves my problem
gfernval

Post by gfernval »

2 questions:

- I cannot run "git-describe --tags", would like to know where to find in the gigatron-lcc repository (in some place in the web page or in the files inside the file gigatron-lcc-master.zip) the string GLCC_RELEASE_1.3-3-gf8c3d76 (example) Once I know the string for the latest gigatron-lcc-master.zip I copy this string inside the file glccver.py

- where is the file sdcard.asm.py needed to build sdcard.rom? There are SDCARD_bmwtcu.rom and SDCARD.rom, what are the differences? What means
"as a foundation bespoke for bmwtcu"?