On the shoulders of Giants

General project related announcements and discussions. Events, other retro systems, the forum itself...
monsonite

On the shoulders of Giants

Post by monsonite » 24 Sep 2019, 15:42

Hi All,

Many of us will now have had our Gigatron for a year or more, and will have witnessed the wonderful progress that the project has made since it's inception in March 2017. Who would have thought that we would be able to emulate the 6502, or access an SD-Card.

Inspired by Marcel's Gigatron design, I pursued the desire to increase the clock frequency, and with some help from Marcel, we now have machines that run twice as fast.

One of the things I'd like to do is to extend the Gigatron architecture to that of 16-bits. This would mean that the vCPU would be a real 16-bit cpu implemented in hardware, and that operations that currently take 28 clock cycles - would complete in a single cycle.

My aim is to develop a TTL coprocessor which plugs into the SRAM socket - picks up the address and data buses and provides a many-fold boost to performance, in a similar way to the BBC Micro tube interface and its various coprocessors.

This is a project in its infancy, but if anyone would like to contribute with ideas and discussion - please contribute to this thread.

marcelk

Re: On the shoulders of Giants

Post by marcelk » 24 Sep 2019, 21:36

monsonite wrote: My aim is to develop a TTL coprocessor which plugs into the SRAM socket - picks up the address and data buses and provides a many-fold boost to performance, in a similar way to the BBC Micro tube interface and its various coprocessors.
You already told me about your plans in Cambridge. I'm glad you're giving it a go! It sounds like an ambitious project and it will be extremely interesting to follow! Writing about it always helps push the design in the right direction (even if from time to time the audience can seem absent). The logging feature of HaD helped me a lot when shaping what later became the Gigatron. Good luck!

walter
Site Admin

Re: On the shoulders of Giants

Post by walter » 25 Sep 2019, 07:12

It's really great to see that the system we designed is inspiring others! Indeed: best of luck!