Makespace Cambridge next Saturday

General project related announcements and discussions. Events, other retro systems, the forum itself...
marcelk

Makespace Cambridge next Saturday

Post by marcelk »

Today Jenny List announced there will be a "Hackaday Mini Unconference" at the Cambridge Makerspace on Saturday afternoon, March 16th 1:30pm-6pm. I just decided to join, because, why not... last chance to go there before Brexit? There's limited seating, so reservation is required. Details at https://www.meetup.com/Makespace/events/254958315/

I booked a morning flight and will arrive at the Cambridge train station at noon. Anybody willing to meet up for lunch, please drop me an e-mail.

HaD Unconference
HaD Unconference
unconflogo.jpeg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
Map
Map
staticmap.png (35.34 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
monsonite

Re: Makespace Cambridge next Saturday

Post by monsonite »

Hi Marcel,

A nostalgia trip to the birthplace of the British Computing industry?

Many notable machines were developed in Cambridge - including EDSAC (6th May 1949) and of course the Acorn and Sinclair home computers (and many others). And from tiny Acorns - mighty ARMs were built.

I'd like to attend - but it's either 2 hours by car, or 3 hours by train - at a cost that could buy you a return flight to Spain. I'll check my schedule, and if I can make it - I'll let you know.

The other place of (computing) interest in Cambridge is The Centre for Computing History - about 2Km from the city centre. If you find yourself back in Cambridge at any time - it is well worth a visit - and they have retro-computer meetings once or twice a year.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/

Have a good trip.

Ken
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Indeed, I visited the The Centre for Computing History last year. It is fabulous. It's very unclear however if I can join their festival this year again.
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

I had a blast in Cambridge today and I'm glad I caught my train back on time. Many great talks got crammed in one afternoon. Gigatron's slides here at HaD.io

Now on to VCF PCF, pixels.camp and T-DOSE...
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Hackaday's own write-up of the event is now here. The improvised Racer demo worked flawlessly on the projector. Maybe a next time we should present the slide deck from a Gigatron?

Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 23.32.54.png
Screenshot 2019-04-05 at 23.32.54.png (399.63 KiB) Viewed 4304 times