That one little part..

Information about getting support on Gigatron builds
WimWalther

That one little part..

Post by WimWalther »

Howdy all,

Since someone thought it would be a Good Idea to use a proprietary Molex mini USB connector to bring power into the board, I'm in the unenviable position of having to pay $7+ to ship a $1 part from the only supplier that has it.

I don't suppose one of you stateside folks has a spare that they could pop into an envelope, and save me this financial humiliation?

(Why on Earth would you use a USB jack on a vintage-themed design, anyway? Isn't a 5.5x2.1 barrel more correct?)
walter
Site Admin

Re: That one little part..

Post by walter »

WimWalther wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 02:05 (Why on Earth would you use a USB jack on a vintage-themed design, anyway? Isn't a 5.5x2.1 barrel more correct?)
A barrel would be more correct. But then you'd need (as a kit supplier) to include a special power supply with all kinds of downsides:
- power supply needed at extra cost
- power supply needs to be different for many countries (US vs UK vs Netherlands vs France vs..) -> logistic nightmare
- much harder to package
- more expensive to ship

The micro USB is a perfect compromise: old enough to be available in through hole form. New enough for everybody to be able to power it with stuff they already have lying around.

If you order all the components, adding a micro USB connecter to the order is just as much work as adding a barrel, and cheaper as well. So yes, I came up with it and still think it is a Good Idea :-)

I probably have a few lying here, but recently, sending goods abroad has become much more expensive so it will be cheaper for you to source it locally, even if that's expensive.