Controller issues

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
GigatronExpert12

Controller issues

Post by GigatronExpert12 »

I was able to build my gigatron and works, it turns on. The main issue I am having is that that I cannot move the cursor. Since the kit did not come with the original famicom controller, I first used a serial Sega controller and then I used an NES controller but I still could not move the cursor. Are the two controllers not compatible with the micro computer or do I need the original controller?
walter
Site Admin

Re: Controller issues

Post by walter »

GigatronExpert12 wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 00:30 I was able to build my gigatron and works, it turns on. The main issue I am having is that that I cannot move the cursor. Since the kit did not come with the original famicom controller, I first used a serial Sega controller and then I used an NES controller but I still could not move the cursor. Are the two controllers not compatible with the micro computer or do I need the original controller?
There are several different types of controllers, that look the same but are electrically different. I've seen three, of which two are supported by the Gigatron, one a bit better than the other w.r.t. pushing more than one button at once.

You can try https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 25411.html
I think these will work.
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

It's fairly trivial to build a CD4021B or 74LS165 based controller if you want a guarantee of compatibility.
lb3361

Post by lb3361 »

walter wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 08:23 You can try https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 25411.html
I think these will work.
I got one of those and it works. Mine is a Type C controller with a priority encoder instead of a shift register. Not the best kind, but good enough.