dual core Gigatron CPU

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice.
PurpleGirl

New Reddit Sub

Post by PurpleGirl » 11 Feb 2020, 06:48

Since everything I posted is jumbled up with unrelated things all merged together, I just created a new Reddit sub and I may copy everything I posted in its own thread. That might be the best since I can then get my thoughts together. And if others want to copy in their replies from here, that would be good, if not, I could use the quote feature.

The video card ideas are not the same as the opcode ideas or the multicore ideas, so I will likely look for another way to host all that to be able to keep them all separate. The good part will be that I'll have my thoughts better formulated.

GigaMike

Re: dual core Gigatron CPU

Post by GigaMike » 11 Feb 2020, 17:21

I agree with the separation of the ideas because they probably will have different solutions. But why not continue to use this forum instead of yet another place?

PurpleGirl

Post by PurpleGirl » 11 Feb 2020, 23:09

GigaMike wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 17:21
I agree with the separation of the ideas because they probably will have different solutions. But why not continue to use this forum instead of yet another place?
I and others initially put everything in separate threads. The only way I can control the integrity, quality and coherence of what I post is to have control of the hosting space. Whenever you use someone else's forum or space, you are at their mercy. I'm not the only one impacted. This thread was started mainly for video separation. I started one that had nothing to do with this on opcodes, and someone else started the multi-core thing. But then all the other threads were merged into this one.

I appreciate the work done here, and part of the reason for trying to find other space is out of respect.

Something interesting is that the original Gigatron sub is banned on Reddit. It might have been related to a cartoon character of that name. If I wanted, I could request that it be unbanned and handed to me.

ECL

extra hardware for expansion port

Post by ECL » 13 Feb 2020, 09:49

this stuff is definitely hi-res: https://github.com/hdl-util/hdmi

Send video/audio over HDMI on an FPGA such as: https://www.linux.com/news/orangecrab-a ... pga-board/

ECL

dual core Gigatron CPU

Post by ECL » 13 Feb 2020, 11:15

I guess "dual core Gigatron CPU" was initially my headline; well, I understand the desire of the forum owners to counteract fragmentation of design ideas. But also I agree that undue re-editing of articles by superiors may not sit well with some. Frankly, I dislike reddit for their very heavy interventions as a matter of policy. Even HackerNews is not ideal.

PurpleGirl

Post by PurpleGirl » 14 Feb 2020, 19:02

I am not sure if I want to build anything at this point, TBH, though I might want to try to learn Verilog. The momentum I was building sort of died and the different threads with different but overlapping ideas helped to build it. And I get what you are saying, but jumbling up different ideas doesn't help. And on Reddit, it isn't admins who mess with things, but moderators, and since I'm the mod and will hopefully not be in TOS violation, I should be able to have separate threads or even wiki pages for my ideas. I understand the moderator drama over there.

As for me, I learn best by posting/speaking, since that forces me to research, and others will throw in ideas. If I want to take on a similar project, I will need to find an environment that is conducive to that.