Importing in Kicad 5

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
PhaustSceptique

Importing in Kicad 5

Post by PhaustSceptique »

Hi all,

I tried to import the Gigatron Kicad files in Kicad 5 without success.

It can not find some librairies and it can not open schematics, but pcb yes.

Is there a way to properly import Gigatron files in Kicad 5 ?

thanks,
at67
Site Admin

Re: Importing in Kicad 5

Post by at67 »

I just tried importing "Gigatron Rev. 2012 OSH\Kicad\Gigatron.pro" into Kicad Version: 4.07. Everything loaded correctly and I was able to access both the schematic and PCB.

I would guess it's some sort of incompatibility issue between the different versions; (maybe the legacy .mod/.sch files that the Gigatron uses).
PhaustSceptique

Post by PhaustSceptique »

Thanks, it's good to know.
I will check if there is some converter from Kicad 4 to Kicad 5.
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

PhaustSceptique wrote: 09 Jun 2020, 14:27 Thanks, it's good to know.
I will check if there is some converter from Kicad 4 to Kicad 5.
I just did a quick search and it seems others have issues with .sch from v4 to v5 as well, if you do find a converter, (I couldn't find one), it would be great if you could post your findings here; cheers.
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

Kicad 5 prompted me to allow it to remap the libraries. I haven't checked in great detail but it looks like I am able to access all the schematic sheets in Eschema.
MJGraf

Post by MJGraf »

It worked for me, too, and passes the electrical rules check. A couple of spot checks look fine, too.

I'm now in the process of adding Marcel's I/O and RAM expander to the schematics, and then to the main board layout, along with a few other minor changes (reposition the EPROM to allow enough space for a ZIF socket; add a barrel connector for power; and maybe a reset button?).
steve

Post by steve »

MJGraf wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 21:26 It worked for me, too, and passes the electrical rules check. A couple of spot checks look fine, too.
I'm now in the process of adding Marcel's I/O and RAM expander to the schematics, and then to the main board layout, along with a few other minor changes (reposition the EPROM to allow enough space for a ZIF socket; add a barrel connector for power; and maybe a reset button?).
I'm planning also to do some hacking on this nice computer, but I'm pretty new on Kikad (and in general this tools), and seems to me it would really be of great help without "just" tinkering on the breadboard wires.

Since you're doing it, can you just record a video where is visible you changing the schematics (e.g. adding a new component) and then going to the PCB layout and adjust things also there? I hope seeing it for one component on the specific project would be a good help and probably suffice to be able to replicate for all the changes needed.