Puzzles - A gem matching+smashing game

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
blaknite

Re: Puzzles - A gem matching+smashing game

Post by blaknite »

delpozzo wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 15:34 After playing your original version a handful of times, I can say that it definitely strikes a good balance between relaxing and challenging. It's great when it seems the end is near, then you finally get that life-saving smasher that levels everything!

At first I was scoring between 100 and 350 before losing. As I got better, I would easily surpass 1000 points with no end in sight. With that being the case, I think it's a good idea you added the 5 minute timer. I'll give the updated version a test drive as soon as I get a chance and let you know how it goes!
Thanks! That's where I got to with the difficulty as well. I'd end up nearly losing and then I'd clear a massive cluster and all would be fine. As I got better it seemed this would go on for hours! A friend of mine who's right into these kinds of games said that the more traditional approach is to increase game speed but that he'd enjoyed versions that have timed modes. So far I've enjoyed the outcome of his advice :D I'm keen to hear if you agree.

My highest score so far is 3330 and my friend scored 5940. Make sure you grab the latest version so that our scores are comparable :D
blaknite

Post by blaknite »

I've added sound :D Download in OP.
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

Sound always adds that extra dimension, it's a really fun game and I like the 5min time limit; it really forces you to try and chain instead of just moseying along.

I've also replaced the old version with this new version in the GT1 repo.
blaknite

Post by blaknite »

at67 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 09:40 Sound always adds that extra dimension, it's a really fun game and I like the 5min time limit; it really forces you to try and chain instead of just moseying along.

I've also replaced the old version with this new version in the GT1 repo.
It really does! Even just a simple beep for feedback changes the feel entirely. Glad you’re enjoying it!
delpozzo

Post by delpozzo »

I really like the sounds as well, and the 5 minute timer ended up being perfect! My scores have been in the 2000s, with 2800 being my best so far:

blaknite

Post by blaknite »

delpozzo wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 14:10 I really like the sounds as well, and the 5 minute timer ended up being perfect! My scores have been in the 2000s, with 2800 being my best so far.
Seems like the difficulty is just right. There's plenty of headroom for freakishly skilled players while the rest of us don't feel like we're scoring next to nothing. Excellent!
blaknite

Post by blaknite »

I got some feedback that for very fast players some input was being missed and that accidental restarts happened often. I've updated the gt1 in the OP to include improved responsiveness (no longer waits for vBlank to process input) and changed the restart button to "start".
delpozzo

Post by delpozzo »

blaknite wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 02:49 I got some feedback that for very fast players some input was being missed and that accidental restarts happened often. I've updated the gt1 in the OP to include improved responsiveness (no longer waits for vBlank to process input) and changed the restart button to "start".
I think there may be a small bug in this version, the drop action from d-pad down gets stuck until you press another button (confirmed on hardware and emulator).
blaknite

Post by blaknite »

delpozzo wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 15:02 I think there may be a small bug in this version, the drop action from d-pad down gets stuck until you press another button (confirmed on hardware and emulator).
Nice catch delpozzo, thanks! I've fixed it and updated the download in the OP.
delpozzo

Post by delpozzo »

blaknite wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 23:20 Nice catch delpozzo, thanks! I've fixed it and updated the download in the OP.
Great job blaknite, the latest version works perfectly!