Pluggy Reloaded

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
giobbi

Re: Pluggy Reloaded

Post by giobbi »

oooh I just discovered this thread, how did I miss it???

I wish to buy a full kit, too... I'm in Brazil... any chance?
norgate

Post by norgate »

Better late than never :)

I replied to the PM you sent.
psergiu

Post by psergiu »

bmwtcu wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 17:48 UPDATE Current status as of 2/20/2021. 1 SOLD, 1 left
Hi bmwtcu - any kits left for US shipping ? (new user, cannot send PMs yet)
Thanks a lot !
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

Hi, yes, I have enough parts for a few more kits. It's probably easiest to just DM me on the Gigatron Discord at https://discord.com/invite/XywGzy5K88 but I will try sending you a DM here as well.
kerouanton

Post by kerouanton »

Hello, I'm catching up the forum after two years offline (yes, it may sound impossible).

I was wondering if any of you was living in Switzerland and interested in a group buy for all extension boards, as I'd like to order one for myself. If so, I'll probably make an order for 10 PCB and the corresponding components for the ram extension and the pluggy reloaded. If you believe I could order kits for other extensions just let me know too, as I probably missed much info.
Hans61

Post by Hans61 »

I've been thinking about a Pluggy Reloaded 2 based on an STM32 for a while now. I still have a "Blue Pill" with the STM32F103C8T6 lying here (bought a long time ago for 2$). The chip has 2x USB and at least one of them is host capable, which means you could connect a USB keyboard directly. (if I understand it right (software is not that easy)). There would be more memory available than with the AVR and maybe a cheap SPI- Flash would be interesting. I want to finish my other Gigatron hardware projects first but in any case I want to do some experiments with my "Blue Pill". I have already soldered SMD boards by hand, but the final goal for me should be a SMD PCB that can be manufactured at a reasonable price, e.g. at JLCPCB. I am only interested in other opinions on this.
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

That would be pretty cool! I'm assuming you would be using stm32duino and just port the existing Arduino code for the bulk of the interfaces? I suspect it's simpler from a porting standpoint to start with PS2 with appropriate level shift. I think even the lowest cost F030 (no USB) would be able to handle the Pluggy Reloaded workload. I was considering doing the same for the Gametron handheld so that all the logic levels could stay native 3.3V on the handheld and I just need a SD card holder on the SPI interface. (The Gametron has built in game controller but doesn't have PS2 support, so no need for 5V). SMD isn't that bad with a steady hand and a good microscope... and lots of flux and solder wick:P
Hans61

Post by Hans61 »

I also thought of stm32duino, the code could be taken 1:1. The software for the USB keyboard is not that simple I think. I've only found one example of it so far, but haven't had time to try it out yet. The second thing would be the connection to a PC (USB->serial) would be nice if the STM could do that without additional hardware. Most PIN's of the STM32F103C8T6 are 5V tolerant, so 3.3V or 5V is possible (except supply voltage, simple LDO).
norgate

Post by norgate »

Sounds like a great idea! Memory is definitely the biggest constraint with the ATmega32U4 and the STM32 is a huge upgrade. I originally wanted to go with a custom SMD design as well but then went with the ProMicro for simplicity (turned out to be good choice for ease of assembly). Given that the naming of the Pluggy Reloaded was inspired by the sequel to "The Matrix" you'd have to call it "Pluggy Revolution" ;). Fits with the naming of the "Blue Pill" as well :D
Hans61

Post by Hans61 »

Since the Arduino Nano Every (ATMega4809) is currently cheaper and more powerful than the PRO-MICRO, I once built a Pluggy Reloaded with the Every.
(Reichelt 10,70€ https://www.reichelt.de/arduino-nano-ev ... l_13&nbc=1)
I added the Arduino Nano Every in BabelFish and tested the PCB, it behaves exactly like the Pluggy Reloaded with the PRO-MICRO.
I added an I2C EEPROM 24LC64 to the PCB. The EEPROM isn't tested yet and I haven't made any software for it either.
Arduino Nano Every 48k Flash 6k RAM 256 EEPROM
Arduino PRO-MICRO 32k Flash 2,5k RAM 1k EEPROM
PCB and software can be found here:
https://github.com/hans61/Gigatron-TTL/ ... y-Reloaded
PluggyReloadedEvery.sch.png
PluggyReloadedEvery.sch.png (25.29 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
20220806-Test_PluggyReloadedEvery.jpg
20220806-Test_PluggyReloadedEvery.jpg (304.43 KiB) Viewed 1823 times