SDCard browser for Pluggy Reloaded:

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
giobbi

Re: SDCard browser for Pluggy Reloaded:

Post by giobbi »

you wrote most of the contrib software/firmware for the Gigatron, including the SDcard browser so of course you're one of the best guy to ask: do you think is it hard to develop some support for a virtual disk on the SD card (I mean: mount a virtual disk and use it from inside Gigatron) ?
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

Marcel wrote most of the firmware and I am just a contributor like everyone else.

lb3361 is working on an SD-CARD based kind of OS right now as we speak, he's a much better person to ask: https://forum.gigatron.io/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=329

P.S. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for, but the next version of gtBASIC will allow you to LOAD and SAVE from within gtBASIC code to the pluggy reloaded SD-CARD. Hopefully we'll be able to do the same to lb3361's expansion card SD-CARD from within both gtBASIC and glcc in the not too distant future.
walter
Site Admin

Post by walter »

Paper tape anyone?
giobbi

Post by giobbi »

at67 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 23:55 Marcel wrote most of the firmware and I am just a contributor like everyone else.
Yep, I said you wrote most of the CONTRIB software/firmware; and that's true, you're definitely one of the most active programmers for the Gigatron, your contribution was (and is) crucial for the Gigatron community.
at67 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 23:55 P.S. I'm not sure if this is what you are asking for, but the next version of gtBASIC will allow you to LOAD and SAVE from within gtBASIC code to the pluggy reloaded SD-CARD. Hopefully we'll be able to do the same to lb3361's expansion card SD-CARD from within both gtBASIC and glcc in the not too distant future.
I asked you because you wrote the SD card browser; that means you know how the Pluggy Reloaded work and what it can be done with it.
Nice to know about the interaction between gtBasic and Pluggy.

What I was asking for, if is there any way to add any support to the SDcard to the supported languages (i.e. making a new release of TinyBasic, MS-Basic, etc.), like it was saving to a virtual disk drive - in order to save a program to the SDcard with its own name (i.e. SAVE "MYPROGR") instead a simple SAVE command who wrote in the Arduino memory - and consequent LOAD "MYPROGR" command

I quicky tried a SAVE "MYPROG" from inside the MS-Basic and it returns a sentence, something like "do you mean pluggy reloaded?", something like this (I can't recall the exact sentence), so I was guessing if somebody began to wrote any support for that.
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

That makes more sense, something probably can be done for TinyBasic, but it would have to be completely barebones, (i.e. no browser, flat file system etc).

If I ever get time I might have a quick look at it, unless someone else want's to give it ago.

P.S. I can't think of any show stoppers for using Pluggy Reloaded, just the fact that TinyBasic will have even less RAM to play with once the LOAD/SAVE routines are added to it.
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

walter wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 20:22Paper tape anyone?
Sign me up, whilst you're at it I'd like a punch card reloaded interface as well.
giobbi

Post by giobbi »

walter wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 20:22Paper tape anyone?
Something interesting on this side in the Altair-Duino group, take a look:

https://groups.google.com/g/altair-duino/c/gTXT3jPUEQU

The worst part is to build a puncher for tape roll from the scratch... it would also be nice to use common and available paper roll, like paper roll for table calculators, instead of rely on vintage (and expensive) NOS teletype paper rolls...
giobbi

Post by giobbi »

at67 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 09:46 That makes more sense, something probably can be done for TinyBasic, but it would have to be completely barebones, (i.e. no browser, flat file system etc).
yes, the simple SAVE and LOAD commands would be fine and enough.

About the browser: what about the Commodore system for the disk browser, a LOAD "$" that replaces the basic content? Just a thought...
at67 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 09:46 If I ever get time I might have a quick look at it, unless someone else want's to give it ago.
It would be great!
at67 wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 09:46 P.S. I can't think of any show stoppers for using Pluggy Reloaded, just the fact that TinyBasic will have even less RAM to play with once the LOAD/SAVE routines are added to it.
Well, the 64k mod is soooo easy that (almost) anybody can do it (and maybe did it); and of course if you have the Pluggy Reloaded, you can load the new TinyBasic with the SDcard routines. And of course it's just for fun, if you planned to write a big basic program you would use your gtBasic instead, easier and much more efficient; I believe nobody will write a 20/30k program from inside Tinybasic, LOL

Out of curiosity: do you think the same SAVE/LOAD routines can be used for both TinyBasic and MS-Basic (and maybe Apple, etc.) ?
at67
Site Admin

Post by at67 »

giobbi wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 18:39 Out of curiosity: do you think the same SAVE/LOAD routines can be used for both TinyBasic and MS-Basic (and maybe Apple, etc.) ?
I'd guess so for Pluggy Reloaded's SDCARD as the majority of the work is done by the Arduino, for the expansion card I'd think it would be more difficult with the 6502 BASIC's, as you have much less free RAM. But if the majority of the expansion card's SDCARD interface was done in native code it could be much simpler and therefore possible.
veekoo

Post by veekoo »

I have been using happily Pluggy Reloaded to load .GT1 file collection in a 32K RAM / ROMv5a machine. At start screen I push CTRL+F2 and it starts to show directory. Its a NO_ROM version.

Today I changed ROM to DEVROM and noticed some bugs fixed, but Pluggy Reloaded doesnt work. Where it should show directory screen goes blue and flickers. Is it only my machine or doesnt DEVROM support it?