Blue Gigatron with colorful LEDs

A place to eternalise your Gigatron build photos. From box to BASIC.
Forum rules
Use this forum to show off your build photos. For build issues, please consult the directions in the sticky post on top instead.
denjhang

Blue Gigatron with colorful LEDs

Post by denjhang »

I changed the color of the top left LED to a rainbow-like color, and I changed the power LED to an LED that automatically fades color. I guess it fits my vision of the Gigatron, which is colorful, lively, and not boring.
I've made multiple Gigatrons so far, and each one is 100% successful, I guess thanks to many previous failures (mainly poor soldering).
Also, I made Pluggy Reload, which also does the expected functionality.
I've actually planned to sell it to my friends, and the picture shows my vacuum pack (looks like a yummy candy).
bmwtcu

Re: Blue Gigatron with colorful LEDs

Post by bmwtcu »

Did you adapt the DB9 to NES for the controller? Looks different.
denjhang

Post by denjhang »

bmwtcu wrote: 08 Mar 2022, 20:55 Did you adapt the DB9 to NES for the controller? Looks different.
This is actually a famiclone controller with the appearance of an NES controller. But I actually own a lot of original NES controllers too, and it was a no-brainer for me to modify them to be Gigatron compatible.
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question. For all intents and purposes, an NES controller IS a Famicon controller disconnected from the console and modified aesthetically for the US market. What I was asking was whether you had installed a different connector on your Pluggy Reloaded from the standard DB9 to support your NES controller. Did you respin PCB/bend pins or are they both standard off-the-shelf parts? I was hoping for a part number/source:P Sounds like you're saying you modified the NES controller cable connector to fit a standard DB9 connector and there is no modification on the Pluggy Reloaded? Closeup picture would be great.
denjhang

Post by denjhang »

bmwtcu wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 08:38 Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question. For all intents and purposes, a Famicon controller IS an NES controller disconnected from the console and modified aesthetically for the US market. What I was asking was whether you had installed a different connector on your Pluggy Reloaded from the standard DB9 to support your NES controller. Did you respin PCB/bend pins or are they both standard off-the-shelf parts? I was hoping for a part number/source:P Sounds like you're saying you modified the NES controller cable connector to fit a standard DB9 connector and there is no modification on the Pluggy Reloaded? Closeup picture would be great.
I didn't make any modifications to the DB9 connector or Pluggy Reloaded, I just cut off the wires from the original NES controller and used the famiclone controller wires with the DB9 to connect them (of course, connect them in some order.) What looks like an NES controller inside the package is actually an original famiclone controller with a DB9 interface, I didn't make any modifications to it because I can buy such a weird controller straight out of the box. I can even buy a famiclone controller with an MD or PS1 look. But these weird controllers tend to not feel as good in the hand as the original NES controllers, so what I did makes sense.
This is the manuscript I wrote in Chinese, I can translate it to English and upload it to GitHub if needed.This is actually wired according to the color of the cable, so that the NES controller is modified to be a famiclone controller.