It's alive. IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!! MUHAHAHA!

A place to eternalise your Gigatron build photos. From box to BASIC.
Forum rules
Use this forum to show off your build photos. For build issues, please consult the directions in the sticky post on top instead.
RobIII

It's alive. IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!!! MUHAHAHA!

Post by RobIII »

Worked perfectly on the very first power-up!

I have it socketed completely. I missed that the 7432 has a different pincount (14) than the other IC's (16 & 2) :mrgreen: I pushed the two pins (nr. 7 & 8) up out of the socket and pulled them out from the other side with some pliers. Then I soldered the socket to the board. There's room for a little overhang anyway. Maybe I'll replace it with the correct socket someday but desoldering this much pins is no fun (even with a tin-sucker) and was actually why I bought the sockets in the first place: so I wouldn't have to desolder IC's ever :D

I'm su-per excited and happy with my Gigatron. It's a fun project to do; it gave me a few hours of very relaxed soldering and tinkering and it's a beauty to see. It's going to get a nice prominent place in my mancave!

The manual is great (I diverged from it by the time the IC's were up since the sockets were still in the mail) and the entire product is well thought out and executed excellently. Kudo's to Marcel en Walter! Well done, great job!

One sidenote I have: My multimeter (el-cheapo) only read 1.25V instead of the 1.5V~2.5V as mentioned in the manual when the time came to do check the voltage after the crystal went in. I'm sure the meter is at fault here but I thought it would be worth a mention.
There are only two hard problems in distributed systems: 2. Exactly-once delivery 1. Guaranteed order of messages 2. Exactly-once delivery.

Roses are red Violets are blue, Unexpected ‘{‘ on line 32.

Over mij