New Gigatron Fan here

Using, learning, programming and modding the Gigatron and anything related.
Forum rules
Be nice. No drama.
PaultheRoman

New Gigatron Fan here

Post by PaultheRoman »

Hello. I just found out about the Gigatron project today. I'm a 5th-year electrical engineering student and, honestly speaking, I entered this major because I was interested in doing/creating something like the Gigatron, only using just circuits, resistors, inductors, and capacitors, but then the theory I learned, and just the scope of the project kind of dissuaded me. I never realized you could make something like this only using TTL chips nor did I ever thought of it. Because of this the project fascinates me and I would love to help with it, however, I'm very rusty on the subject material as I only took one course on digital logic circuits. In order for me to understand and comprehend Gigatron and be able to actually help and improve upon it (as well as program for it), can you guys please point me in the directions of tutorials and books I should read to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills needed? Please help, I really want to learn, but I feel at a loss on where to start.

Also, can you guys tell where I can find a TinyBasic v2.0 interpreter and manual for my computer so I can start learning that as well? Again, thank you for creating this, it's honestly amazing. :D
marcelk

Re: New Gigatron Fan here

Post by marcelk »

PaultheRoman wrote: can you guys please point me in the directions of tutorials and books I should read to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills needed?
There are many places to start, because the Gigatron covers many EE and CS topics at once. Instead of listing all resources here and risking to miss one, we have them collected on the project page at https://gigatron.io . If I had to pick one single starting point, it would be the video under "How it works". After that go through the FAQ. From there, explore the links in the "Find us" section on the bottom left of every page. It links to resources on other sites (HaD project log, GitHub repo etcetera.)
Also, can you guys tell where I can find a TinyBasic v2.0 interpreter and manual for my computer so I can start learning that as well?
The online javascript emulator should work in any browser. Our tutorial for it is linked on the project site as well under "Manuals and references". That menu has more links that might be of interest.