A monthly Gigatron meetup on Zoom.

General project related announcements and discussions. Events, other retro systems, the forum itself...
monsonite

A monthly Gigatron meetup on Zoom.

Post by monsonite »

Hi All,

I'd like to put forward the suggestion for a regular monthly meetup for Gigatron enthusiasts on Zoom.

It would be an opportunity to meet other users, and learn what's happening in the rest of the Gigatron community.

It could take the form of a "show and tell" where users could talk about their latest developments, in the form of a presentation, where screens can be shared on Zoom. Talks would typically be 25 minutes with 5 minutes for Q&As.

At times there might be topics that need more time to explain, and these could take the form of extended talks or workshop sessions.

For those that just want to give an update on a recent project, a 5 minute "Lightning Talk" might be the preferred format.

Gigatron users are scattered all over the world, and finding an acceptable common timezone might be a challenge. I would suggest 16:00 GMT on a Saturday, as this could include Asia, Europe and North America.

I'd like to know what others think about this idea, and if feedback is positive, I'm going to suggest the third Saturday of the month as a regular slot. An agenda of speakers could be published on this forum about 1 week in advance.

I'm also going to be bold enough to suggest a name for the meetup "Gigatron Interest Group" or Gig for short.
at67

Re: A monthly Gigatron meetup on Zoom.

Post by at67 »

That sounds like a great idea, I'm not sure I could attend regularly, (I think that's around 3:00am my time), but I could try and show up every now and then.
walter
Site Admin

Post by walter »

Same here. I love the name :-)
monsonite

Post by monsonite »

at67 wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 20:44 That sounds like a great idea, I'm not sure I could attend regularly, (I think that's around 3:00am my time), but I could try and show up every now and then.
Thanks for your support. It gives an alternative means of sharing Gigatron projects and techniques as well as an opportunity to meet other members.

Finding an acceptable overlap of timezones is always going to be a problem. If it were shifted 2 or 3 hours later say to 19:00 GMT, it would make it easier for participation from Australia and New Zealand, but at the expense of Asia.

The structure of the meeting might start with perhaps 4 scheduled speakers, perhaps 30 minutes of Lightning talks or show and tell, and then if required, a workshop session or extended discussion for members that want to discuss particular themes.

Total meeting time might be 2 to 4 hours, with ample time to top-up on coffee.

Members would be free to drop in and out, and there would be no fixed duration allocated for the discussion afterwards - if there is still things to talk about.

Language would be English, but I am investigating the transcription service offered on Zoom, to see if language translation might be possible.
monsonite

Post by monsonite »

As I have only heard from 2 forum members regarding the monthly Zoom meet-up, I will take this as members, in general, not being interested in this sort of event.

If you have any strong views either way, please let me know, and if there is a sufficiently positive response then we work towards getting something running for April.