Not sure what to do with pluggy reloaded

Information about getting support on Gigatron builds
NewTechPhobic

Not sure what to do with pluggy reloaded

Post by NewTechPhobic »

I've been wielding a soldering iron for a good 50 years building the Gigatron was not difficult, however I never have and never will be any good with software even back in the late seventies when I though computers changing our lives would be a good thing (WRONG!!!). The attraction of Gigatron was, no massive IDE and a PC not being essential, just BASIC.
The Pluggy Mcplugface I have works fine but my intention was to cobble together a pluggy reloaded to support a PS2 keyboard and SD card for storage and just play with the Gigatron.
Incidentaly my Gigatron eprom has V5a firmware, I'm not entirely sure how the software side of the pluggy interface all fits together. I have very little experience with the the Arduino IDE most of it being bad making C of any dialect my worst nightmare navigating GitHub is not without it's problems.
The least painful route for me would be to burn one of the hex files to the AVR and completely avoid the arduino IDE, I'm unsure what I need to do to the SD card and sendFile.py (if I need to use python). The info must be out there somewhere any pointers?
bmwtcu

Re: Not sure what to do with pluggy reloaded

Post by bmwtcu »

Did you already try the steps at viewtopic.php?p=1994#p1994 ?
NewTechPhobic

Post by NewTechPhobic »

BMWTCU, thank you that's exactly what I was looking for . I did try searching the forum but got too many unrelated hits, once again thank you.
NewTechPhobic

Post by NewTechPhobic »

Hi again I'm begining to feel a bit like the Oozlum bird and just about to fall into the void! My Gigatron has a V5a rom and 32K mem, it works fine with the ATtiny85 pluggy but 500 bytes for storage or 1k arduino aint going to go very far.
Lets see whats the problem ....

1) The Arduino IDE never palys nice, the IDE usually refuses to accept add-ons (win 10 the culprit?), I frequently get multiple compile
errors the IDE version is usually the problem but then it may as well be a full moon! I try to use HEX files where possible which are less
trouble.

2) It is difficult to search the forum as the search requires the exact name /title/subject. If I had that I would not need the damn search!

3) I have loaded a hex file to my pro micro for the pluggy reloaded but I'm not 100% sure it's the right one and to add insult to injury I'm not
sure what files are supposed to go on the sd card to get it going (brain addled) and in what order (if any).

4)I have had no luck using the loader (remember clueless) with any version of arduino mega328 ormega 32u or it may be I have a fault?

5) No experience with python there are a couple of python files in the pluggy reloaded folder tinyfont.py and tinyfont.h no Idea what they
are for.

6) The end result with the pluggy reloaded (Mega32u) is if I hit ctrl-F2 the sd card menue comes up with System~1, GT1, Browse~1.GT1, if I try to open there is some activity from the loader screen then I get I get SDCARD ERROR.

Between my general ineptitude and all of the above I'm at a bit of a loose end.
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

Measure 5V on the pluggy reloaded header. Make sure you have at least 4.75V otherwise you need a better USB cable. The tinyfont files generate the fonts for the text you see within the CTRL-F2 menu. You shouldn't need any special files on the SD Card, just the gt1s that you are trying to run from SD Card. Were the only two files on the SD Card System~1.GT1 and Browse~1.GT1? Have you tried loading any gt1 game files onto the SD card and clicking on them within the SD Card Browser? Confirm you are using NOROM version of Babelfish. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d8v284j9j41b ... WuCUa?dl=0 Click the download button from the Dropbox link. Unzip the folder and double click on the ino file to launch the Arduino IDE, then follow the steps in my previous post if you haven't already. Screenshot any Arduino IDE error messages you're seeing and share here.
NewTechPhobic

Post by NewTechPhobic »

All of the voltages checked out OK, I usually do test as a matter of routine. My version (V1.8.18) of the arduino IDE acts up when I try to add unofficial boards I suspect win10 does not like none windows programs messing with my C:drive thefore I have gone back to using a an Arduino Uno. I downloaded the software fron the link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d8v284j9j41b ... WuCUa?dl=0 as suggested unfortunately it will not compile the error list is attached. I really can not get to grips with Arduino IDE I'm more than capable to completely screwing up something myself without 'help' from some bloated IDE and three pages of error message, not very helpful.
The software must have worked for others therfor the only conclusion I can reach there is,
1 I missed something between opening the sketch and hitting compile.
2 Theres some changes in my version of the IDE causing the error.

I have been laying out the differing versions of the adapter on a breadboard but I have not used the same layout components or breadboards during the multiple attemps over the last coulpe of weeks to get things going. I will take few days to go over the whole project again if I can't find the solution at least it may help to better define the probem.
Attachments
ERROR LIST.odt
(22.54 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
at67

Post by at67 »

These errors mean that sdChipSelectPin has not been defined or that it is set to -1. You need to set it to whatever pin on your Arduino is used to access the SDCard.

e.g. for the ARDUINO_AVR_PROMICRO, (which is what Pluggy Reloaded uses), you should have something like this:

Code: Select all

#if defined(ARDUINO_AVR_PROMICRO)
#define platform "ArduinoProMicro"
#define maxStorage 9999

// Pins for Gigatron (must be on PORTB)
#define gigatronDataPin  8
#define gigatronLatchPin 9
#define gigatronPulsePin 10
#define gigatronPinToBitMask digitalPinToBitMask

// Pins for Controller
#define gameControllerDataPin 5
#define gameControllerLatchPin 6
#define gameControllerPulsePin 7

// Pins for PS/2 keyboard
#define keyboardClockPin 3 // Pin 2 or 3 for IRQ
#define keyboardDataPin  4 // Any available free pin

// Link to PC/laptop
#define hasSerial 1

// SD Card
#define sdChipSelectPin 2
#endif
If this code is not defined, i.e. ARDUINO_AVR_PROMICRO is not defined, then you are trying to build against an undefined or poorly defined AVR type.

P.S. I would prefer if you asked SDCard for Pluggy Reloaded questions in this thread here ---> viewtopic.php?t=279
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

I guess I missed the part where you're not actually using a Pluggy Reloaded and don't have an Arduino Pro Micro. If you're not comfortable with Arduino coding, IMHO your least painful route would be to use a Pro Micro since you wouldn't need to edit any code (it's the only one that supports SD card in the NOROM BabelFish sketch). I've made it work with an LGT8F328P Arduino Nano, but it required changing the Gigatron interface pins to PORTC/PINC to avoid conflict with the SPI interface pins as well as disabling EEPROM related functionality.
bmwtcu

Post by bmwtcu »

Answering your PM in this thread. The syntax for using sendFile.py is in the python3 script itself. I found this thread using the search function for "sendFile.py" viewtopic.php?p=3147#p3147 The truth is I only used it one time and haven't looked at it again since the SD Card Browser. I don't use any of the BASICs in my Gametron handheld simply because the handhelds don't support a PS2 keyboard (they theoretically could, but would need to be the subset of 3.3V capable PS2 keyboards unless I add level shifters)