The proposed ROMv6.rom file is based on the latest DEVROM and includes the following changes compared to ROMv5a
- Robust support for RAM & IO expansion boards viewtopic.php?t=64&start=90 which now come in several variants https://github.com/lb3361/gigatron-lb/t ... sion-retro. In particular the Gigatron can now boot from a SD card attached a RAM & IO expansion board and show a browser to load any GT1 file found on the card viewtopic.php?p=2696#p2696.
- A faster Mandelbrot application that relies on some of the ideas proposed by qwertyface viewtopic.php?p=2632#p2632.
- Improved sound effects in Racer viewtopic.php?p=3446#p3446.
- New SYS calls for quickly copying and searching memory, possibly across memory banks viewtopic.php?p=2292#p2292.
- New SYS calls written by at67 for fast multiplication and division.
- A unified vIRQ support viewtopic.php?p=3462#p3462.
- The Pictures application has been replaced by at67's spectacular Invaders viewtopic.php?p=1600#p1600. It turns out that there were two versions of Invaders. I had planned memory usage on the basis of the old version size. To make space for the new one, I had to remove one of the many MIDI scores included in at67's Tetronis. I hope at67 will not object.
- A rewritten Credits application with smooth scrolling.
- Even faster multiplication and division.
- A new SYS_Exec that addresses all the points identified by Marcel and more. It supports arbitrary execution addresses, correctly masks the audio channels when one attempts to load code on top of the audio counters, can load code anywhere above the Gigatron essential variables [$00-$2f], and runs two to three times faster.
- A new SYS_Loader that builds on the SYS_Exec infrastructure. The first native loader was written by at67 for his ROMvX0 because he wanted to be able to directly load an image into the framebuffer. This was not possible with the old loader because it lived there. This ones pushes the concept further. It displays a visual feedback on the screen, but will stop as soon as it detects an attempt to load code or data in the visual feedback area.
- Work in progress about the integration of the loader and the SDCard browser. This idea is to have the loader recognize the presence of the Pluggy Reloaded and propose to run the SDCard browser, as shown below. Alas this may not work yet. As a stop-gap measure, users of the dev rom can press 'B' in the main menu to immediately start the SDCard browser.
Please take the time to test all this.